Physical Education & Sport
Physical Education is an important part of the curriculum at our school. The Physical Education curriculum engages children in a variety of physical activities for around 2 hours per week, plus additional sporting opportunities as extra curricular clubs.
The key aims of physical education in the national curriculum is the ensure children:
The main areas of our PE are based around six themes:
1. Dance - creating and performing formal and creative dance sequences
2. Games - a range of team games and sport activities developing skills and tactics in mini-games and applying their skills and competencies in more traditional sports and competitions
3. Gymnastics - developing the core skills of agility, flexibility, control, balance and co-ordination; using these in creating and performing fluent sequences on the floor and apparatus
4. Swimming and water safety- swim competently, confidently and proficiently
5. Athletics - running, jumping and throwing activities
6. Outdoor and adventurous activities - more advanced activities including problem solving.
The school has achieved the silver sports award and we work in close collaboration with a specialist teacher from St Robert of Newminster School. All year groups take part in a range of tournaments with our deanery schools and the school is represented in local sporting leagues.
Our high quality sporting provision within the curriculum is enhanced by our extra curricular provision in PE and sport. In the autumn and winter terms children often have gymnastics, netball and football, hockey and cross country. In Spring and Summer they often have basketball, volleyball, tennis, cricket, rounders and athletics. Dance is taught in school and as a club. Our Year 4 children have swimming lessons. We also visit the Sunderland Ski Slope. Our Change4Life club engages those children who have limited physical activity to be active.
In the summer we have a Sports Activities Day when parents are invited to come and watch and enjoy the events.
Welcome to our new website